Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Wizards re-brand to Sporting Kansas City SC


  The Kansas City Wizards turned over a new leaf yesterday with the announcement of the clubs rebranding.  The new name will be Sporting Kansas City SC and the new look crest is above.  The colors are basically the same, albeit it a little different shade of blue.  the club president Robb Heineman stated, "This is all about a new start. It’s a new name, a new stadium, a new time.”  Sporting KC are set to move to their new very own home next year, tentatively called the Sporting Kansas Stadium at Village West.  In addition to the announcement of rebranding, the club introduced new DP Mexican striker Omar Bravo, as well as the new kits.  The club has said it is near a deal for a jersey front sponsor for next year.  Interestingly, Heineman said the new brand was a move to be different and innovative, however Sporting is certainly not an innovative name in the soccer community.  And what's more unique and different than the Wizards?

Although Wizards was a terrible moniker to begin with, I sort of got used to and begin to like the Wizards name.  I think the new stadium would have revamped the club anyway, so I don't know if the rebrand was necessary.  They had already won trophies, so I think they should've stayed with the name.  With the passing of time, the name could have been endearing and classic, much like the "chivas" nickname of CD Guadalajara.  For those of you who didn't think the name had relevance, I think it was in reference to the Wizard of Oz.  "We're not in Kansas anymore."  While I like the new name, I hope they keep the Wizards as the unofficial nickname and I think that typically names should stay constant.  If the club isn't working, you should start from scratch, I think.  I don't know how efficient that would be, but for tradition's sake.  So what are your thoughts KC fans (all 3 of you)?  Do you like the new name? Disappointed? R.I.P. Wizards?

1 comment:

  1. Keep the Wizards, hire a new head of PR. Has anyone heard of Harry Potter? There has to be a cross pop-cultural campaign in there somewhere. (it might be important to note that I don't know anything about KC, my bad)

    ReplyDelete