Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas Gift Idea: Soccer Scarf Culture

So Christmas is right around the corner which can only mean one thing: last minute gift shopping.  What do I get Suzie? What do I get Mom? How can I buy the cheapest possible gift for Little Jimmy and not make it look obvious?  The answer may surprise you......Soccer scarves.  Soccer scarves have created a fashionable and cosmopolitan culture which exudes class and worldliness.  If you see a guy walking around in a scarf, you automatically think douche.  But if you look closer and see that this scarf is embroidered with Liverpool or Osasuna or Chicago Fire or Genoa, you think, "Hey, I like this guy."  The soccer scarf is what separates the US soccer fanbase from the European fanbase.  That degree of style or class or everyday exposure hasn't hit us yet.  It's time to change that.  We here at Rip City have started our own collection.  We've got AC St. Louis (R.I.P.), US National Team, Espana, Inter Milan, Man U, New England Revolution, and more.  I myself have started a collection where I try to get a scarf from the local club team of the places to which I travel.  I've garnered a Chicago Fire one, a Charleston Battery one, a Tottenham scarf (even though I've never been there), an Eintracht Frankfurt scarf, and lastly a Kaizer Chiefs scarf from my journey to the World Cup.  On a side note, if anyone knows how to get an AmaZulu or Golden Arrows (club teams from Durban, S. Africa) hit me up!!!!

So it's time we, as a true passionate American soccer fanbase, step up in class and rock the soccer scarf.  They are a perfect Christmas gift.  They can be worn for utility or accessory, and they look great draped on the wall over your TV! Good places to look for them are worldsoccershop.com, soccer.com, mlsgear.com, ruffneckscarves.com, or ebay.

No comments:

Post a Comment